Monday, May 2, 2016

#MadeItMonday - Challah Bread


Today I had my first trial run of making a loaf of challah bread. Challah is the traditional sabbath bread of Jewish families around the world. Because of my summer job, I'll be making onsite and the last thing that I want to do it make it and have it look, well, bad.



After looking at recipes and pictures for a substantial time, I was worried about how difficult it would be to make. I'd never tried making a braided bread before, which seemed like a daunting task. Actually it wasn't that bad, though it did take some figuring out. I've filed away a few mental notes which will hopefully make it easier to make the next time around. 

The bread on the whole wasn't hard to make, but it did take a while. I had to mix and knead everything by hand, when normally I would have the help of our lovely KitchenAid. However KitchenAids were around in 1919 so the old fashioned way it was. Then there was a lot more raising necessary than a normal loaf of bread would call for, maybe it was just this particular recipe, but all said and done it had to rise and rest for about 5 hours combined. 

All that being said it does taste very good. If you're interested in giving it a try you can follow the link at the bottom of the page. Happy Monday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment