Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Last Week in iPhone Pictures


Hey, I'm back. It's been a crazy couple of weeks. I've plunged head long into my museum job. So far I'm loving it because I get to hang out in amazing old houses and talk about history. 

Just from the sheer volume of the amount of reading and studying that I've been putting in to prepare myself, I haven't had the time to sit down and write about what I've been doing. Of course, I haven't actually been able to take my camera to work, but I have been able to use my phone (not, my favorite method of photography) to get a few shots before opening. 

I'm currently trained, or training, to work in six of the houses on the property as a museum interpreter. Essentially that means that I've been studying and shadowing those houses to the point that I'm able craft a short presentation on the owners, the house and the local history of that time based on what the visitors seem interested in and answer questions that they might have. Thankfully for me, we're still in the beginning of the season and it tends to be quiet at the end of the day. That allows me ample opportunity to read through reports and wonder around the house with the curators notes figuring out what any unusual objects are. 

Each house is very different, which is great and challenging all at the same time. I've currently got a note book that I've filled with notes about every house.

One thing that I love about my job is the character that each of these houses has. One of my favorite houses to be in a memorial to a famous, but now obscure, author of the late 19th century. The house is surrounded by quiet gardens. 


It feel like I've stepped back into the Secret Garden because I have a robin that hangs out with me in the garden most of the day. 


There is so much character in the old houses. Little details that you don't see in the homes of today. I'm a total sucker for old doorknobs. 



I was given the go-ahead to start making my own Molly attire in addition to the ones that will be issued by the museum. Which make me extremely happy on a number of levels.


It's been an interesting experience to be reading the most famous book, written by the author I mentioned above, at the house were it was supposed to be based. 



While I haven't had the opportunity to actually start working at Molly yet, (I still have a lot more research and training that I need to finish first) I do get to spend a lot of time admiring my future home from other houses on the property. 
 I'm also a sucker for old cookstoves. Hopefully over the summer I'm going to be learning to do some cooking on an open hearth, which would be extremely exciting.


The staff at the museum are amazing. They're all extremely knowledgeable and fun to work with. These chickens are professional role players. They live in the 1940's and they'll never let on that they know otherwise no matter how many questions you ask them, they'll still insist their feed comes in cloth feed sacks.



Animals seem to be a little bit of a high-light of my work experience. This rabbit and I spend a great deal of time together depending on which house I'm in. He likes to play hide and seek in the privies.....

1 comment:

  1. I love the part about the chickens' secret and their feed sacks. :) Looks so fun.

    ReplyDelete