Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Boston Trip 2014


Funny as this may seem, I've lived just a hop skip and a jump away from Bostom my entire life and I've only been to the city a handful of times and always just going to one place, never to actually wander and see the sights. So for the very first time ever I finally got to see a little bit of Boston this past weekend.


Let me back up here and explain a little bit. I'm a HUGE theater lover and I love musicals. I drive my family bonkers by playing show tunes music when ever I'm working on a project. When I finished college back in the fall, my parents decided to get me tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera in Boston as my graduation present. This past weekend was the performance that my mom and I had tickets for.  So off we went.

Thankfully, the drive in wasn't as bad as either of us was afraid that it would be. We got in without any issues and found a parking garage right across the street from the theater.  We then stopped to get a coffee (and our bearings) before going for a quick walk around the theater district.


The part of Boston that we were in really was very quiet and "friendly". We were able to walk around the streets and felt perfectly safe and comfortable.



In our wanderings we found part of one of the streets was closed to all traffic, but pedestrians and their was a street market. While we didn't do any shopping it did give us something to do while we were killing time before the show.


Some parts were very old and had the rich early American architecture, housing much newer businesses.

It was at this point in time that I really started to wish that I had packed my "real" camera, because taking pictures with my mom's iPhone wasn't nearly as nice and the quality was if-ie.



In the midst of our wandering we came across the Old South Meeting House. This is when I really have to shake my head that I've never been down there before. Yes, I've lived with in a couple of hours of all these famous American landmarks, have a degree in history, and this was the first time I'd ever seen any of them!

We saw the sign for Milk St. which is where Benjamin Franklin's childhood home is, but unfortunately we were running short on time and had to be heading back to the theater. Needless to say at some point in time we are planning on heading back to Boston so that I can do the Freedom Trail. 

The Boston Opera House is AMAZING. Just to be able to see the inside of it was a real treat. 




The lobby in and of itself was incredibly impressive and the rest of the theater followed suit!


We had great seats, just a few rows back from the stage and we were sitting almost under.....

"Ladies and gentleman, Lot 666, a Chandelier in pieces." 
Which, if you know the story, you will understand that that was really cool!

First "real" Playbill!!

The show was phenomenal! I'm not a huge Phantom of the Opera fan, but this was absolutely amazing. The actors and orchestra were astounding! The costume, set and lighting design were top notch and breath taking! It was everything I hoped it would be and SO MUCH MORE!!! 

At the end of the first act when the Chandelier falls, were only this far from it. Which was very exciting, especially since they rained fake glass down on the audience and were using pyrotechnics with real explosions. 

The Chandelier was beautiful..... and completely safe. Since I knew what was going to happen I was prepared when it fell, but the man sitting at the end of our row, directly under it, had no idea. I think he was just a little surprised and not to mention completely taken off guard when it started sparking and coming towards his head very quickly. 

Blurry :(
My mom and I had so much fun. It was great to be able to go and enjoy some special mom-daughter time together. We now have so many great memories from our quick trip down. 
The lighting inside was hard to take pictures in.
We were so thankful and happy to have a safe, uneventful trip back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment