Wednesday, June 18, 2014

4 Easy Steps to Finishing Your Summer Reading List



Ah, Summer is officially here. It's the season to enjoy long days, nice weather and numerous activities. If you're anything like me, you may have a pile of books that's just waiting to be read. For the longest time I would devour books as fast as I could get my hands on them. It wasn't uncommon for me to read a couple of books in a week over the summer. Then something changed. When I started school I suddenly didn't have time to do any "pleasure" reading. Now that I'm finished school I'm trying to get back into the groove of regular reading to try and get my summer reading list completed this year. Here are a few steps that I'm using to get back into the habit of reading again.

1. Make a Physical List. It's super easy to have a mental list of books that you want to read this summer, but it's also super easy to ignore your mental list. I know because I do it all the time. It's harder to ignore a list written out on a piece of paper.  Write down all of the books that you want to read and post the list somewhere where you will see it on a regular basis. As you finish books cross them off the list. It's a great way to keep track of your progress and stay motivated.

2. Be Intentional. If you really want to get through your reading list, be sure that you're intentionally setting time aside to do some readying on a regular basis. With all of the other things that you want or head to get done, it's so easy to allow reading to become the activity that gets set aside. Maybe it's only going to be 15 minutes every day or maybe it's something that you can do every evening for an hour. Figure out what will work for you and stick with it.

3. Put Away the Distractions. It's no easy feat to juggle reading and other activities at the same time.  While it's impossible to get rid of all of the distractions that might come up, take care of the ones that you can. Turn off your electronic devices. You can't read and use Pinterest at the same time, sad but true :). Take care of the chores and the things that need to be done first. It's so much easier to sit down  when you've got the important things taken care of.

4 Enjoy it. Reading shouldn't be a chore. If it is, you're doing it wrong. :) Find a nice spot to sit, get yourself a nice cup of ice tea or lemonade and enjoy the book. If you're enjoying it you're more likely to get your reading finished than if you make it a drudgery. Find books that are interesting to you, suite your taste and reading style and then work out from there.

What's on your summer reading list this summer? Share it with me below in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment