Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Summer of Sewing Projects: The Fabric

Peachy Orange and Aqua Blue Combination

I have to admit, when it comes to shopping I'm really NOT a fan. Money is better saved then spent in my opinion. Plus, I don't like crowds and I don't care for the whole shopping environment, unless it's a fabric store then it's an entirely different matter all together.
For me, fabric shopping is inspirational. I love colors. I love textures and being able to stand and just stare taking in the wonder that is a fabric store. Oh just to breath in the smells of bolts of cotton and cotton blends. *SIGH* Yes, I'm well aware that that sounded very over dramatic.

 For me sewing, or more specifically quilting is an art form. There is a lot to be said of the satisfaction that comes from bringing together the right blend of patterns, colors and geometric designs into the harmony of a well balanced quilt.  Over the past few months, and with economic encouragement that comes with having gift cards to fabric stores, I've started to add some new fabrics to my extremely slightly disorganized stash of fabric. My goal over the summer is to work on designing quilts with inspiration from my quilt Pinterest boards and to tell you, my readers, about it as it's happening. These are just a few of the fabric choices I'll be working with over the coming months.
Indonesian Batiks 

Right now I'm just starting to get some preliminary ideas plotted out. My problem is not having ideas, it's having too many. Ah, one of the many problems with Pinterest.... Anyways, I'm thinking that I'd really love to come up with a great quilt to showcase the fun and unique designs of the batiks. I'll most likely use a larger block and a warm, neutral solid to balance out the bright, bold colors. 

There is something about the blue, gold and gray combination that really says "stars"to me. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the mariner feel of the colors or if it's for an entirely different reason. Regardless, you'll probably end up seeing stars or something star related with these colors. 

Lastly, is the peach and blue. I saw the main fabric that ties it all together on the shelf and immediately decided that I wanted to use it to make a Farmer's Wife Quilt. I find the colors to be a fun modern take on some very traditional colors of the early 1900's. That's the feel I'd like to carry through the whole quilt. 

Gold, Gray and Navy Blue Combo
These will be my "on the side of everything else" project for the summer. But I'm hoping to have a weekly or bi-weekly update on the progress I'm making. Now if I could only narrow down my ideas a little I'd be all set! 


No comments:

Post a Comment