Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Where I've Been Hiding for the Past Few Months.... Part 1


I don't know how many times I've meant to come on and right this and other posts and then never ended up doing it. I guess it just goes to show you where my priorities lie and isn't my blog for the moment. When I started my series on Sewing Modest Clothing on a Shoe String budget, I was in a relatively quiet down time. But with the Fall came a whole slew of exciting new opportunities, new ventures and less available time to write. As you can probably guess this meant scaling back in other areas, like my blog.



I have to admit that I'm a little bit of a theater buff, but mostly from a behind the scenes aspects. During high school I had the fun and privilege of working as director with a homeschool theater group that I started. After a couple of years, I decided that for personal reasons I needed to step away from it for a little while. Of course it wasn't more than a couple of years later that I started to consider what future productions might be worth considering, it was right about then that someone introduced me to the Scarlet Pimpernel. After reading it I began slowly working on adapting the story into a script, two or three  rough drafts later, I knew that was the next play that we were going to do it. That's when it happened. I started college and the script was put into a folder on my desktop, for what I assumed would be it's final resting place, never to be seen or heard from again.



Fast forward another two years and suddenly I found school winding down and my brother (and other previous cast members) were hoping that there would be another play still in the future of the group. After some a lot of prayer and consideration, things started to fall into place to do another play. The decision to go for it came at the very end of July, in order to meet the number of rehearsals we would need to be ready for a November production we had to start by mid-August. So in the space of two weeks we had to review the script again, make some adjustments, send out the casting call, schedule and have our auditions. Looking back it sounds almost as crazy as it felt. But by the first rehearsals in Mid-August we had a full cast and were ready to get started on the process of pre-production preparations.

From August to the end of November was a crazy time of weekly rehearsals, working out the logistical end details and doing research for costuming. While I wasn't able to find the time to write about sewing and buying fabric I was busy doing just that in order to get the costuming finished. The play basically became my life during those months, but I loved every minute of it. I was blessed to be able to work with a group of wonderful and incredibly talented young people who were willing to take on huge jobs and huge roles with tons of lines and moms who were willing to come week after week to rehearsals bringing along things to do with younger siblings.


I'm not sure that people who have never been involved in student theater can fully appreciate the hard work that the actors and crew put into each production. Each actor is responsible for learning all of their lines, knowing all of their blocking and being on top of knowing which costumes they have to have for each scene and then still managing their day to day lives of schoolwork, chores and being involved in other activities. But they put their minds, hearts and souls to the task and were able to get the job done with weeks to spare. After months of preparation and work, we had three amazing performances and the kids got to revel in the excitement and fun that comes from a good audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment