Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Wonderful Advantages of Finishing School Early


Source:  via maidofvirtue on Pinterest

I was just reading an online article about the disadvantages to finishing your college degree early. You can read it here if you would like. My first thought was, “This HAS to be a joke”. My next thought, after I realized that it wasn't  was “The sad thing is people, especially students believe this.” So this is my ten cents worth on why finishing college in less the four years is worth it!  


1. You save a ton of money!!!!
I’m working on a B.A. in history through the college advisory program, CollegePlus! and I’m projected to earn my degree for under $8,000. Sounds crazy right? But by taking CLEP and DSST exams along with several online courses I’m saving a huge amount. Why are five or six figure student loans so important in today’s society?

2. Since when is saving a ton of time a bad thing???
When you get out into the real world you suddenly realize that you will never ever say, “Boy, I have 24 hours in a day….. How will I ever fill them?” If you are saying that well, you might want to reconsider what you are currently doing. Anyways. I love the fact that I’m not having to waste four years of my life in college class room. With a million ideas and half that many things that I hope to accomplish, spending years behind a desk writing papers or listening to lectures would be painful. I’m earning my degree at a pace that will get me the degree I need in a very short amount of time, roughly two years, and then I can move on.

3. It builds character.
No, it’s not easy. But as the old adage goes, the things worth doing rarely are. I do have to spend a lot of time studying which means that I do have to miss out on things that I would rather be doing. However, the flip side to it is that I am learning skills that are vital to being an adult. Budgeting (both time and money, you don’t get through college by wasting either), discipline, self- control, perseverance, being able to set and meet realistic goals just to name a few. I’m not claiming to have any of these mastered, far from it, but I am learning them in a real hands on practical way. If I live up to what I need to I can see the rewards, if I fail I can immediately see the consequences.

4. You gain a proper perspective for college and learning.
Who hasn't heard about the college experience? I know a lot of people say that the college years are the best years of their life and what I’m about to say will probably be unpopular with a lot of people, but I’ll say it anyways. In my mind the college experience is about equivalent to going to Disney World. A lot of people love it and can’t imagine life without it but it isn’t a necessary experience to be a mature and healthy human being. I've found that when I talk to others about college very few kids have the idea of college experience that means sitting in a huge library and studying their pants off. Instead it’s about going to a huge “name brand” school and hanging out with friends or worse. College should be so much more than about the social experience. When you are in an accelerated long distance program you realize that learning and mentally growing are important in order to be able to succeed. In the program that I’m in, people expect more of you; you have to understand what college and learning are all about if you want to succeed.

I could go on and on about all of the advantages but for the fact that I really don’t want this post to be any longer than it already is. Accelerated long distance learning is a unique and modern alternative to the traditional brick and mortar colleges. You no longer have to be bound to the traditional ideas of spending four years and five or six figures on education. The sky really is the limit in this technological age. 

What are your thoughts? Please leave a comment to share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment