Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dress Diary {Entry 2}

This week has been pretty crazy which hasn't left me much available time to work on my dress project but I'm pleased with the progress that I did make. Since I was able to get most of the bodice done my focus was to get one of my trim options made up so that I could see how it looked. Thankfully there are so many different types of trim that if I'm not entirely satisfied with the first one I can  try another on.


In my desire to make this as authentic I've decided to sew all of the visible parts by hand. All of the inside seams are sewn on the machine to save time and keep the project moving on at a reasonable pace. This past week I sewed several yards of pleated trim. It was slow work because I had to measure and pin each of the pleats before I could sew it. I'm still trying to decide what my feelings about the first trim is. I'm going to start working on different trim to get a better idea of what the finished product.

18th C. Pockets
Source: 
via maidofvirtue on Pinterest

With Hurricane Sandy knocking out our power for a couple of days I worked on sewing the pocket. In case you aren't familiar with clothing from the 18th century, pockets weren't actually attached to the dress. Pockets were more like bags which were worn over the shift but under the dress and petticoats. I felt almost like I was living back in the "olden days" sewing by hand by the light of the lanterns.



There wasn't much of an update this time but I'm trying to get into the habit of actually updating my blog on a regular basis. Maybe I'll actually be able to break the habit of only updating once every three or four months like I did with my old blog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment